We're really getting down to the wire!!
Worked on book (cover,writing, making changes to spreads) (around 15 hours)
Thought about presentation in gallery and started sketching out plan (3 hours)
What I discovered/accomplished/encountered:
I'm really starting to feel good about my book and think I will be able to have it ready to send to blurb.com early next week (as scheduled).
I worked on a new cover, and got positive feedback about it in small groups. I also spent so much time coming up with the subtitle to the book (thanks Erica!) and finally feel comfortable with:
Capturing Confidence: women's reflections on their preteen years. Before that I had: Capturing Confidence: from exclusion to acceptance: women's reflections on their preteens years. However, today in small group we agreed that was a bit too wordy.
I also came up with a device that would tell people when each reflection ended to allow them to understand which girl they were following in case they got confused (a small star).
I am meeting with Hannah again tomorrow before I send the book out next week.
front cover
back cover
star deviceI sketched up an idea of how I want the gallery to look, however this is where I will be focusing all of my time once the book is sent out. This is just a brief sketch. I want to incorporate typography which states quotes from the workshops about the girl's explaining certain photos. I also need to list the adjectives. I really want to have the capturing confidence letters which are made out of the photos from the girls in large letters and vinyl. Today Claire gave me a name of a place that prints and installs this, but I hear it is quite costly. Lastly, we spoke about not having the photos go down to the floor, which I think is a good idea. I really need to speak to Mark about the space I might have- it's so hard to plan not knowing this.


What's next:
Figuring out the presentation in the gallery, printing photos, etc...
sending out book and praying that it comes out ok!
website!
Great. It's all coming together.
ReplyDeleteI want to revisit the idea about presentation in the gallery- I think you should move the photographs out from behind the podiums- if you want people to look at them, you've got to make them accessible- any other presentation ideas? This is really looking good-
Amanda