What I did:
I feel as though I was not as productive this week as I have been in recent weeks past. I think I also needed this week to take a moment to breathe and take in and reflect on everything that is going on with my project. Like Hannah and Stephanie were saying in class today, I really do think I am starting to own this project and that it is really becoming my own. With that said, I still LOVE receiving the extremely helpful feedback that I have been getting all semester and I of course continue to welcome it!
-Went on a walk and took new possible photos for book
-Finalized writing of introduction to book to send to Megan
-tried to figure out and teach myself audacity and work with the sound clips
-Worked on pages of book (need to really focus on this now!)
-Have been updating website with images that I am receiving (so many comments coming in!!)
What I encountered/discovered/accomplished:
-Here are some photos from the walk I took that I think could be interesting in the book:
I was trying to make these look more natural and less posed, but it is hard for me...I think once I clean them up they might be really interesting in the book.
-Here are 2 new pages from the book- not resolved! I spent some time working with the words and working with line breaks. Still needs more work, but it looks so much better than just chunks of writing. I was also working with breaking up the flow of the book a bit more. With my last iteration, it was too boring how everything was the same and so expected. Lastly, I am asking each person to give me a short statement of how they see themselves today to include in each section on how they overcame their adversity. It is much more powerful coming from the person themselves rather than me making it up.
Time is really ticking and I need to get moving with this book.


-This week I also spent (and wasted) a lot of time trying to figure out audacity (something was wrong with my download). Today Stephanie showed me how to use Garageband, which I was having trouble with because it is so hard to get an mp3 file from it, so after fidgeting with it for a while, I re-downloaded a different version of garageband and taught myself how to use that. I like it SO much better. I edited out some clips from the workshop that I found the strongest. To me, these clips really make the workshop come to life. I also really like the juxtaposition of the images with the girls voices. I want to try to incorporate this in the gallery. Today Stephanie and I were thinking perhaps having 2 laptops- one with my website for people to view, and one having an imovie type of slide show with headphones for people to view/listen to. Lastly, I am curious as to whether or not I should have my voice in the clips or not? Again, I just feel like it allows the workshops to come to life. These sound clips are totally not edited completely, just roughly. I'm not sure how much time I want to spend editing these. I also kind of like their rough nature and being able to hear the girls giggle, etc... They are only from the 5th grade group at King Elementary. My other 2 workshops with the Girl Scout Troops are in March.








Also- check out the website- there are now a bunch of comments! I keep thinking how I would find this website so helpful when I was this age. A lot of the girls are writing the same things, and I hope it is helpful for them to see they are not alone!
web.mac.com/carly9188
What's Next:
-introducing my project to Girl Scout Troop #2 tomorrow
-Meeting with Megan Levad tomorrow to go over writing
-BOOK
-TITLE!

Carly,
ReplyDeleteSometimes you need a week to just collect your thoughts, take a breath and recharge. It sounds like you have you a lot going on right now. If you are unsure what to do next with your sound clips or what is and isn't working, bring them for small group crits this week and tell people the specific feedback you want from it before playing it, ie: should my voice be in it, what level of finish does it need, etc.
I am wondering in the book, if you might have the age of the girl listed on the page correlate to whatever memory she is revealing, and then have her age change in the page explaining how she overcame adversity. For example, Chelsea, age 12, story, Chelsea age 21. Girls reading this may be more likely to make a connection with someone in a book if they share the same age, then come to the realization that they are reading a memory. Something to consider.
The similarity in those photos are really interesting. You have a lot of photos of groupings of objects with one item left out. Did you use something like that for an example, or are they all coming up with this type of image on their own? You're doing great, keep it up!
Erica