With Fall Break this weekend, I did not spend as much time on my project as I usually do. However, I think I was more productive than I have been so far.
Coming up with timeline: 45 minutes
emailing and coordinating with people: 30 minutes
Meeting with Orli: 30 minutes
Refining timeline: 1 hour
Reading Strong Moms Strong Girls Materials: 2 hours
What I accomplished/discovered/encountered:
Today I had a meeting with Orli Avi-Yonah, Hannah's friend who is a Clinical Psychologist and who has specialized with bullied girls in the past (she actually helped start the group Strong Moms Strong Girls). Hannah, you were right, Orli is such a great resource! She was so helpful and was really excited about my project. This was so helpful for me to hear someone who actually has experience in this field be very receptive to my project. Orli is very willing to help me with my project and aid me in whatever ways she can. She seems to have many contacts with schools around the area, and is willing to contact the appropriate people as soon as I send her a concrete proposal with what it is exactly that I would like to accomplish. It is so nice to know that I now have this amazing resource- someone who is very well established and knowledgeable in this subject. It is also so nice to have her be able to pull for me in the schools.
We also talked about ways to ask questions to generate the best responses from girls. We came up with these 3 questions:
1) Showing/explaining times when you have felt hurt?
2) Times when you hurt others?
3) Times when you observe?
She explained how you do not want the girls to feel empathy for themselves, as everyone is not only a target and is at some points an aggressor as well.
Julie Kaplan also emailed me telling me Strong Moms, Strong Girls would like to help me with my project but she would need a clearer explanation of it. Orli actually seemed to steer me away from this program and told me that she has all of the resources and contacts that SMSG has.

I gave myself a week by week schedule of where I should be each week before December Review, but I will sum it up. Basically, I would like to have the kit that I will provide to the schools pretty much all done for the review so that I can get as much feedback as possible. This kit will include a description of me and my story and why I am doing this project, information about psychological bullying, and instructions on how to use this kit and do the activity (perhaps this will all be a brochure?). I will also include all the necessary materials for the girls to create the pieces (drawings/collages/poems/writings) and the paper with the questions on them for them to do so. I may also include a self addressed envelope for the teacher to mail me the pieces. For December Review, I would also like a good sense of which schools have been receptive to my project and would be interested in using my kit.
10/22: Meet with Orli, create revised proposal to send to her
10/27: come up with color schemes for kit and typography
10/29:continue with themes
11/03:start working on writing pieces- section about me and my story and why I am doing this project.
11/05: continue working on writing pieces- send to Orli for review
11/10: create instructions
11/12: continue with instructions
11/17: work on paper to distribute
11/19: work on packaging
11/24: create presentation and finish up anything that needs to be worked out
11/26: thanksgiving
12/01-end: work on presentation and anything else that needs to be worked out
Ideally I will have these kits ready by mid January and will be able to have them used after that and will be able to collect until end of February and will then be able to put my book together. This book will just be documented my entire process and project, as well as the works that I received.
What I think I should do next:
Create a refined proposal to send to Orli for her to forward on to the various schools. I need to spend a lot of time on this to make sure I really make my project and ideas clear.
No comments:
Post a Comment